Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 16, 2016

CookTheBookFriday ~ MPK's Chicken lady chicken

are cooking from My Paris Kitchen,
David Lebovitz's latest book.
***
A Big Thank You to KatieBetsy and Mary
for putting everything into order and making it happen!
***
my collection of David's books:
***
Pages 173-4-5: Chicken lady chicken
Page 96: Raw vegetables slaw
Page 96: Garlic vinaigrette
Page 331: Mayonnaise
***
I remember the first time I needed a 'spatchcock' bird, really had no idea what it was... thought it was a special breed! anyways... years down the cooking road... the lovely people at my fav Mom&Pop grocers spatchcocked the chicken for me and it was ready to be marinated when I reached home with it (after work) later in the day. On hindsight should have gotten a smaller chicken as the one I got was rather large (even after this dish and that >still have left overs!<) Used my large grill pan (thought of dismantling my hubby's dumb bell to get to the 2kg pc) but in the end, used my large Corningware pan over foil paper and added on my Lodge cast iron skillet into it!  It was a bit difficult to flip the bird over and it did not help that the skin got stuck on the grill pan too.  But in the end after finishing it off in the oven for at least 30mins... the chicken was evenly browned, so it being almost skinless was not that obvious!  I did not let those brown bits and pieces left in the pan go to waste (and Hubby will ask for a sauce anyway) did the necessary flour, water and seasoning bit.
Totally in a mad rush to get the dinner served, forgot a picture of the roast before cutting (or rather pulling it apart)!  The raw vegetable slaw made with shredded white cabbage and granny smith apple - cut into sticks, was delish with the suggested garlic vinaigrette with homemade mayo. Looking forward to making the raw slaw again perhaps in July with different veggie combo, or maybe sooner!
Served with a glass of  cold Tiger White beer each!
***
(1) Completed 'The invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd'
An interesting read based on historical facts,
very appropriate for the current situation in America
and perhaps the world over.

(2) Started just today on 'A man called Ove' by Fredrik Backman
enjoying the way the main character is being introduced...
******
Do check out CtBF and see the results of our members
Note: We do not publish recipes at CtBF,
but certain recipe links are available at Amazon,
better still - get the book, and join us at CtBF.

12 comments:

Mardi Michels said...

Your chicken looks wonderful! Your skin didn't come off!

Ei said...

Love that you made a sauce! Looks goooood.

Nana said...

Your chicken turned out well, and making a sauce was a great idea.

flour.ish.en said...

What a lovely dinner with the perfectly browned chicken and the slaw.

Nicole said...

Great idea to make a sauce with this. I am sure it made a lovely addition.

Mary Hirsch said...

This was definitely a beer-slaw-with chicken supper. Yours looks delicious. What's it about not finding a 3-pound chicken anymore. Nana and I couldn't find anything smaller than 5-pounds. I blamed it on we Americans always needing it to be bigger!!! but you also had a problem. I have two cast iron pans (well, actually three) so just put cast iron on top of cast iron with tinfoil inbetween. Yes, it was awkward. Some of my crispy, crispy, crispy skin came off but most stayed intact. Looking forward to making the slaw so I hope it's a July pick. The sardine rillettes???, not rooting for them if they are chosen.

KB from Prof Who Cooks said...

Nice and great idea with the sauce! I also had to use a 5 lb chicken and my skin shredded off, too. Oh well, it was still tasty. And good to know re "A Man Called Ove" as I'm on the waiting list for that ebook with my library...I think I'll be getting it soon!

Teresa said...

It looks like yours turned out beautifully! I thought about making the slaw, as you did, but my mother brought some of her own coleslaw over for me, so that was already taken care of! I think your sauce looks particularly delicious - good idea!

Betsy said...

I don't know why the skin stuck. It happened to me too. I made the slaw tonight, with kohlrabi and the non-creamy vinaigrette. Delicious!

kitchen flavours said...

I used chicken legs! haha! easier to manage and this chicken dish is delish! Yum!

Unknown said...

I love the sauce!! What a great idea. I too read the invention of wings- loved it!! I have a man called ove on my list- you should try the pecan man- it is a great read and quick

Anonymous said...

Your dinner looks wonderful!